Lyme can be a long illness and hard for those who suffer from it. Also can be for the people who assist the sick.
A figure that develops the work with exigence and dedication, that prefixes the sick needs to the person he is caring for and not to itself. In a long period of time this can end provoking severe health issues to the carer, with the following negative repercussion in the person’s health that is taking care of.
The reason why it is common that carers of dependent and long-term sick people end up presenting anxiety, depression, problems falling asleep, cardiovascular problems, hypertension… that sadly can make them administer drugs or anxiolytics.
To try to avoid this situation and maintain the carers health, it is convenient to meet and practice a series of advice to improve the carers health that will help them improve their work efficiently:
- Take care of the sick with other persons: caring for a sick person is a significant burden. What is idoneous is that it’s possible to develop the work among several persons. Establish care turns. Social services can provide you this necessary support.
- Establish a care timetable: the carer must try to establish a timetable when caring for another person. The objective is that this labor does not interfere completely with personal life.
- Practice exercise: apart from being an advisable practice to experience a healthy life, practicing exercise regularly can help the carer evade his daily problems and liberate himself from stress and anxiety.
- Establish healthy sleep habits: it is habitual that the quality of sleep of the carers is poor. It is vital to try to sleep enough, establish some fixed schedules when sleeping, avoid sleeping during the day, and maintain a calm environment in the room. The rest is as necessary for the body and the carer mind.
- Practice relaxation techniques or meditation: practices like yoga can be helpful for the carer, especially in very stressful stages.
- Dedicate time to yourself: dedicate your free time to leisure, social relations, and personal care is crucial that will renew forces.
- Take a rest or some holidays: the care of dependent sick people can be exhausting. To realise it correctly the carer might need time to rest. In these cases it is vital to count on the help of friends, family, or professionals that can relay the sick care while the carer is resting. Provide the carer the peace of knowing that the sick has someone caring for him.